Thursday, June 30, 2011

What I have Learned

I have frequently wondered how I could be more engaging with my EC students rather than just teaching basic phonics skills.  I think I have a better handle on incorporating the math with the reading.  I would like to try some different approaches for next year.  Integrating lessons does take a lot of time.  It is a lot easier if it done collaboratively like we did.  Unfortunately for me, there is very little time for me to have input or collaborate with the regular education teacher.  I wouldn't mind being able to assist in developing some lessons with 3rd and 4th grade and would like to see some lessons built with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade so by the time 2nd graders get to 3rd grade are familiar with a lot of the concepts.  I'd learned that students actually learn more from their peers, therefore, activities can be centered around cooperative learning groups.  The hands-on activities are very good for the EC and ESL students.  For many of the students it is important to help students develop prior knowledge.  Prior knowledge helps students in comprehending particular topics better.  I also have a better understanding of what our principal has been saying.  Her motto is: "Beginning with the end in mind".  The concept when she said it did not have as indepth impact as it does now.  As far as I could relate was we want the kids to pass the end of grade test.  But it goes further than that. I also learned about vertical and horizontal alignment of the standards and the essentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment