Sunday, June 12, 2011

Task 2: Unit 2 of Melber & Hunter's Integrating Language Arts & Social Studies

I liked the map skill on page 51 where students would be responsible for constructing a grid of letters and numbers.  Although the book states this activity is for 6th-8th grade, the standards have changed. I believe they get into using a grid using numbers and letters in 2nd grade if not, then I know they do in 3rd.  This webiste, http://www.eduplace.com/kids/socsci/books/applications/imaps/maps/g2_u1/index.html#top, has a cute interactive grid.  It's a good example of how students can create one for their community or the community in which their school is located. It will also read the questions to the students; keeping EC students and ESL students in mind.  I liked this because you are also tying in math as well as language arts and social studies. Students could also use the KWL chart to find out what they know and don't know.  A lot of people, like myself, are not aware of a lot of the history of their own town. It would be a good activity for students to research their own town, interview some relatives, towns people, etc. and share with the class. I have used virtual field trips in my class. This gave students a chance to interact with a mole, its habitat, environment, etc. without being in any type of danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment