Sunday, May 29, 2011

Family History

This is my great-great grandfather.  From what I am told, he was of Irish decent.  This could be integrated into a social studies unit by talking about slavery, how some African Americans were treated, times following slavery,  and forbidden integration of the races (willingly & unwillingly), and also incorporate the migration of Irish settlers to the United States due to the famine of the 1840's.  This artifact also represents how things have changed over the years.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is really interesting. I am really interested in my family history as well and I have found it is important in having documents to go along with the stories and that is something that I am still trying to work on. There is a lot of information right in the obituary and can definitely be integrated into some sort of lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian this is a great artifact. I think I will do a family tree with my students so that they can learn more about their heritage. I also would like to do one for my family. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome that you have this picture. And I think your unit idea is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome artifact! It would make such an interesting study to talk about your heritage and how it represents the history of our nation. I love activities that open students to the possibility of exploring their family histories.

    ReplyDelete